Thursday, May 19, 2011

Strawberry Ginger Rhubarb Crisp - GF




I know, I know. You have been seeing strawberry and rhubarb recipes all over the place. There is a reason for that. Strawberry + Rhubard = Yumminess. :) I did want to throw a little twist in there to make my recipe different, so I added some ginger. Perfection!



*This recipe is linked to Real Food Weekly, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate ThursdayAllergy Friendly Friday and Seasonal Sunday. Check out the awesome recipes others have shared.


Gluten Free Strawberry Ginger Rhubarb Crisp

2 cups strawberries, stemmed and cut into 1" pieces
1 cup rhubarb, cut half lengthwise, and then into 1" pieces
2 TB turbanado or coconut palm sugar
2 TB chia seeds + 2 TB water (optional)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh grated ginger

For the Topping:

1 cup pecan and walnuts, chopped
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (GF certified if needed)
1/2 cup coconut flour (almond, quinoa or oat flour would also work)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup turbanado or coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the fruit filling. Toss until well combined. Place a greased 8 x 8 dish.

2. In a medium bowl combine the topping ingredients and stir until well combined. Spread over the fruit filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the fruit is tender and the top is brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tressa,
    I just love the Strawberry and Rhubarb combination and your crisp looks delicious. I used to have a patch of Rhubarb in my garden and it died out, now your recipe makes me want to have it again. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miz Helen,

    Thanks for hosting Full Plate Thursday. It is always fun to see all the fun, new recipes. :)

    I have been patiently waiting for my Grandma's rhubarb to ripen, but I got couldn't wait any longer and I bought some from the local health food store. The crisp was such a hit that I am making it again tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Tressa,
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week, enjoy!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thanks Miz Helen! I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try this but cannot have oats of any kind. Do you think I could replace the oats with quinoa flakes in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammie, use this topping, http://heckagoodrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/09/plum-crisp.html. This is one of my favorite crisp recipes! I make it often. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)