This was amazing! I have been craving pizza lately. The gluten free crust isn't a problem, there are some great GF ready-made crusts and recipes out there. It is the cheese that I couldn't figure out how to replace. I have tried several of the cheese alternatives out there and my tummy does not like them. I decided I would just need to create some sort of thick, creamy sauce instead. Remember the gigantic red pepper I roasted yesterday? I still have half of it left. I whipped it up into a flavorful, creamy "cheese" sauce. It does not taste like cheese, but it replaces that gooey, creamy texture.
You can use any topping you would like. I did zucchini, spinach and red onion.
*This recipe is linked to Fresh Bites Friday and Gluten-Free Wednesdays. Check out the other real food recipes.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Polenta Skillet Pizza
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup filtered water
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor. Using the S blade process until smooth. This may take 2-3 minutes, just let it run for awhile. Adjust seasoning to taste. Set aside.
Polenta Pizza Crust
1/2 cup fine corn meal/polenta
1/4 cup all-purpose flour/GF flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp basil
1 egg, beaten (or chia seed gel replacer, recipe follows)
1/2 cup water
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the batter into the pan. Spread to edges and smooth with a spatula. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the bottom is just brown. Place the skillet in the hot oven and bake for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet and spread half of the red pepper sauce on the crust. Top with raw vegetables and add remaining sauce. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove the skillet and using a wide spatula remove the pizza. Cut and serve immediately.
Chia Seed Gel Egg Replacer
Equals 1 Egg
3 TB filtered water
1 TB chia seed meal (grind chia seeds in coffee or spice grinder)
1. Whisk the chia seed meal into the water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until is becomes a gooey gel.