Friday, May 13, 2011

Baked BBQ Chicken



Last week I made this Baked Chicken with Peppers from Saveur magazine. I highly recommend it. I thought that this baked chicken idea could be a starting point for many variations. My first variation experiment was a Baked BBQ Chicken. It was so good! I am not really a fan of BBQ either. :)


Baked BBQ Chicken

*Adapted from Saveur Magazine

4-6 bone-in chicken thighs

salt, pepper and smoked paprika to taste

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 small onion, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2" thick slices

2 cups BBQ Sauce (I made my own based loosely on this recipe)

1 cup chicken broth


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pat chicken dry using paper towels. Season liberally with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat oil on the stove in a 4-5 quart cast-iron dutch oven. Place chicken skin side down and cook until skin is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and put on a plate. Set aside.

2. Add the onions to the oil and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the barbeque sauce. Let cook 1 minute. Add the chicken broth. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and mix in. Place the chicken back in the pot and using a large spoon, spoon some of the BBQ sauce over the chicken. Place the dutch-oven, uncovered, in the preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)