Friday, May 27, 2011

Gingerbread Pudding - GF, DF

The other day I made a loaf of bread from Bob's Red Mill Wonderful GF Bread mix. I think I must have let it rise too long, it was huge! and misshapen. I made these tea sandwiches with it, so I had to cut off not only the crust, but a lot of the bread to make them square. I didn't want to waste all those scraps, so I saved them and made bread pudding last night
.



I don't know what got into me, but I made Gingerbread Pudding or Ginger Bread Pudding....or Gingerbread Bread Pudding. Ha! I am not quite sure how to title it. I know gingerbread is usually a holiday dessert, but it sounded good for some reason. :)

Gingerbread Pudding - Gluten and Dairy Free
Makes 1 - 8x8 pan

5 cups 1" cubed bread, best if left out to dry for 3-4 hours
2 cups coconut milk (about 1 1/4 cans)
2 whole eggs
5 egg yolks (Save the whites, I have a recipe coming soon using those!)
1 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tsp dried ginger
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the bread in a 8 x 8 pan. In a medium bowl whisk the remaining ingredients until well combined. Pour over the bread and let sit for 10 minutes, pressing on the bread occasionally to help it soak up the custard.

2. Place the pan inside a larger one. Place on the middle rack of the oven. Fill the larger pan with 1" water. Tent the larger pan with aluminum foil with a few holes poked it it. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the custard has set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm with whipped coconut cream, if desired. Most bread puddings are also good cold.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, we've made Bob's loaves that ended up about 3 times the size of the loaf pan. We might even have a picture floating around somewhere because we were that amused. Bread pudding sounds like an awesome way to use up extra scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalinda, I took a pic with my cell phone, I'll have to see if I can post it. It was pretty hilarious looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy idea. I try to use up every little scrap of food, and gingerbread bread pudding is a delicious way to be frugal. I love the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhi, I have also made them into bread crumbs, or croutons before. I still have plenty of those in the freezer so I had to think of something else. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)