Thursday, May 5, 2011

Horchata (Mexican Rice Drink)


I wanted to post this morning so you could all try this delicious beverage, but my internet was not working until now!

Today is Cinco de Mayo, a holiday only celebrated in the U.S. They don’t even celebrate this holiday in Mexico! I think it is just an excuse for us Americans to eat lots of yummy Mexican food. I love Mexican food…everything Mexican is delicious, unless it has tamarind in it. I DO NOT like tamarind. My favorite Mexican beverage is Horchata. A rice and cinnamon drink. Every time I go to a Mexican restaurant I order Horchata; most of the time I am disappointed, but every now and then I find a really good Horchata. In honor of Cindo de Mayo I decided to make homemade Horchata. It is so easy, but does take some time. It is refreshing and soooo good.

*This recipe is linked to Real Food Weekly.


Homemade Horchata (Mexican Rice Drink)

1 cup uncooked brown rice

½ cup raw almonds

2 cinnamon sticks

4 cups filtered water

1 vanilla bean (or alternatively 1 tsp vanilla extract)

2-3 TB raw agave


1. In a high-speed blender grind the rice and almonds until they become a fine meal. Add the cinnamon sticks and blend until the cinnamon is broken until large chunks. Add the water and vanilla bean. Let this mixture sit for at least 5 hours, overnight if possible, shaking occasionally.


2. Remove the vanilla bean pod and blend for 4-5 minutes until well combined. Using 3 layers of soaked cheesecloth, or a tightly woven cotton cloth, strain the liquid into a pitcher. Stir in the agave. Serve chilled or over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)