Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dairy Free Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing (or Death by Salad Dressing)



On Sunday my family got together at my Grandma's house with my aunt and her family. My mom made carne asade so we could make our own salads or burritos. She had forgotten to buy/make some sort of Southwestern dressing so she asked if I had anything. I didn't, but I just happened to be soaking some cashews so I decided to make something. When soaked cashews are blended they make a creamy sauce. I decided to use this as my base for the dressing. I threw a bunch of things in my blender and made a delicious Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.

As my Grandma's house everyone dug in and were chomping away when about 2 minutes later my cousin started having problems. He told his mom that something he ate he was allergic to. His face started turning red and his throat starting closing off. Well come to find out, he is allergic to cashews! That's right. I almost killed my cousin! No, not really. They had some medications and after about half an hour he was fine, but it was scary. From now on, I know that if I use cashews (or watermelon, come to find out) I will announce it to everyone!

Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing - Dairy Free
Makes 3 cups

3/4 cup raw cashews (not roasted), soaked in filtered water for at least 6 hours
1 cup cilantro, washed
1/2 cup nut or rice milk
1/2 avocado, peel removed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 jalapeno, stemmed and cut in half (if you do not like spicy you can remove the seeds and membrane)
3 TB fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 garlic cloves, skin removed

1. Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)