Friday, May 20, 2011

Savory Spinach, Mushroom and Bacon Crepes - GF


This post took me awhile to get written because I have been distracted by all the beautiful birds outside my window. They must be migrating because in the last two days we have seen some amazing birds that we don't normally see.




By now you know I made a lot of crepe shells the other day. :) I decided I better make a savory recipe to use up the last of them. I have had too many sweet treats lately. The challenge was making a gluten and dairy free sauce. I think I succeeded beautifully. The tarragon and thyme in the sauce adds just the perfect flavor!

Savory Spinach, Mushroom and Bacon Crepes

8 Crepe Shells (I used THIS gluten and dairy free recipe)


Filling
8 slices of  bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
5 oz fresh spinach
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

Cream Sauce
2 TB butter or non-hydrogenated alternative
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk/dairy alternative (if desired, you can use more to thin the sauce)
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp thyme
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 TB arrowroot powder or cornstarch powder




1. In a large skillet cook the bacon until just crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the drippings. Set the bacon aside. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute an additional minute. Add the spinach and mushrooms and cook until tender. Lower heat to medium-low.

2. Meanwhile prepare the sauce. In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the broth, milk and spices. Whisk in the arrowroot and simmer until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Add half of the sauce to the vegetables and stir to combine. Return the rest of the sauce to the burner. Turn off the heat.

3. Lay a crepe shell on a plate. Spread 1/4 cup filling on one side of the crepe (not in the middle). Fold that side over, rolling the crepe. Drizzle some of the reserved sauce over the top and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)