Saturday, March 26, 2011

Homemade Deodorant


I know this isn't a food recipe, but this stuff is amazing! I have always had very sensitive skin and for years couldn't find a deodorant that didn't give me a rash. I also wanted something natural, without aluminum (which has been linked to Alzheimer's and Breast Cancer). I just didn't use any for a long time. I finally found one, it just wasn't very effective, just ask my family! :)

I searched for recipes online and found that most of them were similar. I decided on one and made a natural homemade deodorant. I have been using is now for several weeks and I NEVER have B.O. Even after a hard workout. And it is very gentle for my sensitive skin. I just put it in a jar and apply it with my finger. I added about 10 drops each of lavender and tea tree oil and it smells wonderful. Give it a try!

Click HERE for the recipe. I use coconut oil in place of the shea butter, which means it melts if things get too warm, but it still works great. The coconut oil is also anti-bacterial...another level of odor killing. It was very liquidy so I did add more baking soda then called for, probably about 1 cup total. I kept adding baking soda until it was a more solid paste. This made enough deodorant that it will probably last me a year. You only have to use the tiniest amount, just a little smear.

A couple of cons, but none of them bad enough to deter me:

1. It does sting a little on freshly shaven skin.
2. It isn't clear. It can leave a white residue on clothes. If your arm pits are slightly damp it tends to dissolve the baking soda and cornstarch enough that it won't leave much of a residue, but it is still very effective.
3. Some people have commented that because of the coconut oil it can leave oil stains on clothing. I haven't experienced this yet, but they say they just pre-treat the stains with a tiny bit of dishsoap or shampoo before washing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)