1. Beat the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl with a whisk.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold slowly into the wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a wooden spoon. When the ingredients are mostly combined, use your hands to knead a few times to make sure the ingredients are fully incorporated.
3. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Heat 2-3 inches of canola oil in the bottom of a pot until very hot (375 degrees F). Make the chocolate glaze (recipe to follow) and keep warm until ready.
4. Using a small cookie dough scoop. Carefully drop each doughnut ball in hot oil with fingers, being cautious not to splash oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides (just a few minutes). You will need to cook just a few at a time, but the cooking doesn't take long at all so this goes quickly.
5. Remove donuts from oil with a slotted spoon or spatula, and place on a plate lined with two layers of paper towel or brown paper to absorb oil. While still warm roll in chocolate glaze.