Monday, April 18, 2011

Hot Diggity Corn Doggy






*This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysGluten Free Wednesdays and Allergy Friendly Fridays. Go check out all the yummy recipes everyone is sharing.

I am a live-in caregiver for a 91 year woman. She loves mini corn dogs. Every time I take them out of the freezer to cook them, I am jealous and wish I could have some. Tonight when she asked for them, I just happened to have some Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs that I had bought at the health food store. I decided to try and make some gluten free corn dogs and they were pretty easy easy and soooo amazing! I will never eat store-bought corn dogs again. You can even make them gluten-full if you want. :)

Mini Corn Dogs
6 Corn Dogs (or 18 mini corn dogs)

1/2 C all-purpose gluten free flour blend (or whole wheat flour)
1/4 C corn meal
1/4 C corn flour (I just ground some corn meal in my coffee grinder until it was very fine)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your GF flour blend has some already)
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp dry mustard
1 egg
1/2 C milk, or more if needed (almond or rice will do)
6 Organic Uncured Hot Dogs (I used Applegate Organic Uncured All-Beef Hot Dogs)
cornstarch
long toothpicks, or skewer sticks cut to size
frying oil of choice

1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended.

2. In a separate bowl combine the egg and the milk. Whisk until well combined.

3. Add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. It should look like a very thick pancake batter. Set aside.



4. Cut each hot dog in thirds (or halves if they are short). Pat them dry with paper towels. Place them in a small bowl and add cornstarch to coat. Stick a toothpick about 2/3 of the way into each dog. Set aside.

5. Heat 1 1/2" oil to 350 degrees. Dip each dog into the batter. Make sure there are no uncovered spots and let the batter cover the toothpick a little. Immediately place in the hot oil. Cook until golden brown (they will be on the darker side, not light brown).

6. Place each fried corn dog on paper towels to drain. Serve with ketchup and mustard.

Tip: I fried enough mini corn dogs for dinner tonight and then I let the oil cool to 250 degrees. I par-fried the rest of them. I spread them out on a baking sheet and froze them. Once frozen I put them in a Ziploc freezer bag to store in the freezer. To cook these corn dogs, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the frozen corn dogs on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, flipping once half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)