Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Herbs



* This recipe is linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays and Real Food Wednesdays. If you are looking for some more great recipes go check out the recipe carnivals there.


I have never had baked eggs, but I have seen several recipes lately. I decided I would give it a try tonight for dinner. It was delicious! I can't have dairy, so I didn't do any cheese, but I can imagine that it would be even more wonderful with some good Parmesan, or even goat cheese, or gouda...Gouda is good. :) Any cheese would be yummy.

Sorry for the lack of pictures of the guts. I was in such a hurry to eat it that the pictures were unusable.

Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Herbs
Serves 4

8 eggs
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, and more for coating
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup swiss chard, center stem removed, washed and cut into thin strips (you could also use spinach)
1/2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh basil, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat four 1-cup ramekins or gratin dishes with oil and place on a baking sheet.

2. Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a small saucepan, do not let it smoke. Saute the garlic and chard for 2-3 minutes. Do not let the garlic brown. Divide the oil, garlic and chard amongst the four dishes. If using cheese, mix the parsley and the basil with the cheese and set aside.

3. One at a time, break two eggs in a small bowl, being careful not to break the yolk. Place two eggs into each dish prepared dish. Sprinkle with the herb, cheese/herb mixture.

4. Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately


2 comments:

  1. I love baked eggs, this sounds like another great idea for baked eggs!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/baked-egg-in-jacket-sweet-potato-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shu Han, that Baked Egg in the Sweet Potato looks amazing! I love anything that involves sweet potatoes. I'll give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)