These have been the family's favorites treat lately. Lots of coconutty goodness! Everyone in the family will enjoy them.
Almond Joyfulness Bars
Makes 20 bars
1 1/2 cups fine unsweetened shredded coconut
5-6 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup agave nectar
- In a medium bowl combine shredded coconut, coconut oil, coconut milk and agave.
- Easy bars: press coconut filling into a 9 x 13 pan, about 1/2-3/4" thickness. Press two almonds into the top of the coconut filling about every 2 inches (so that when you cut the bars, the almond are in the middle).
- Hard bars: shape the coconut filling into logs and place on a wax paper covered baking sheet. Press two almonds into the top.
- Refrigerate the bars until the chocolate ganache is ready.
2 - 4 oz 100% cocoa bars
4 tablespoons coconut milk or heavy cream
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons hot water
1 1/2 tablespoons stevia extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Remove the coconut filling from the fridge. (Easy bars: cut into 2" squares). Place a toothpick in the center of each bar and dip into the ganache. Let some of the excess ganache fall back into the bowl, then place the bar on a wax paper covered baking sheet. Remove the toothpick. Place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and then enjoy. Keep bars refrigerated.
- Break the chocolate bars in to small pieces and melt in a double-boiler over medium-high heat (do not let the water boil). If you do not have a double-boiler, use a glass or metal bowl and a medium saucepan. Fill the saucepan so that when the bowl is set on top of the saucepan is it not touching the water.
- Once the chocolate is melting slowly whisk in the coconut milk, hot water and agave. It may look like the chocolate is seizing, but just keep adding the liquids and it will become smooth.
- Once the chocolate is smooth whisk in the stevia and vanilla. Adjust agave or stevia for sweetness.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, keeping the bowl of chocolate in place.
(Adapted from a recipe at Healthy Indulgences)