Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cherry Compote

I apologize that I don't have a picture for this recipe, but I have been sitting on it for awhile. I keep meaning to make it again so that I could snap a few pics....I figured since it is cherry season I better just get it on the blog! :)

This is great with grilled chicken or pork, and weird as it sound I think it would even be delicious on vanilla ice cream. I'll have to try that next! :) I even eat it straight out of the pot. It really is yummy!

Cherry Compote

2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 cup diced shallots or red onion, very finely diced
1 cup cherries, halved and pitted
1/3 cup concord grape juice
2 TB red-wine vinegar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes, just until soft. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook until liquids have reduced by half and the cherries are soft, about 10 minutes.

Variation: Cherry Basil Compote - Add 1 TB fresh chopped basil when you add the cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)