Thursday, April 7, 2011

Buckwheat Banana Nut Coconut Pancakes - GF


The ultimate comfort food...pancakes. Inspired by the yummy Banana Nut Coconut Muffins I made awhile back, I created this recipe. I have had some buckwheat in my cabinet for quite awhile, but haven't used it yet. They turned about perfect! Light and fluffy goodness.

Gluten Free Buckwheat Banana Nut Coconut Pancakes
Yields 8 - 4" pancakes

1 cup gluten free flour blend (I use 1/2 buckwheat, and then a combination of any of the following; brown rice, quinoa flakes, sorghum, almond...all of which I grind in my high-power blender)
1 TB palm sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 egg
1/4 C oil (I used melted coconut oil)

shredded coconut, nut pieces, and/or chocolate chips (optional)

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredient.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined, do not overmix. Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes (or longer) to thicken and combine. Meanwhile heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
4. Pour 1/4 C batter into the skillet. If desired, sprinkle the batter with coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips. Once you see bubbles coming up through the middle of pancake, carefully flip over. Cook until that side is browned. Serve with hot syrup (and a drizzle of coconut milk if you are feeling REALLY decadent) and be comforted!

Note: If you do not need gluten free pancakes you can substitute the 1 cup GF flour with 1 cup whole wheat flour.

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Gluten-Free Wednesdays. Go over and check out all the delicious recipes being shared.

3 comments:

  1. My son and I made these pancakes today and they were really good! Thank you for the recipe as we have been striking out lately in the gluten-free pancake department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cass and Danielle,

    I am so glad they turned out for you! They also freeze well. I just toast them in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes. :)

    I just posted a recipe for gluten and dairy free Banana CocoNutella Crepes. If you like crepes, you'll love these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh you sold me at Nutella. I will definitely check them out. Ty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! It makes my day. :)